Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Brought To You By The Good Folks at Medela

So as I've mentioned before, I bought a new breast pump. I figure if you can't read a breast pump review here, where can you read one?

I've been using a borrowed Pump in Style Original for a while now, and although the one I have is nearing the end of its useful life, it served me well. Medela has redesigned the Pump in Style Original (so much for the meaning of Original) and I have a brand-spankin'-new one of that redesign. Medela has made some changes for the better, but some for the worse.

Let's start with the better. First, the plastic tubes connecting the horns with the pump fit considerably more securely over the ports, meaning you're less likely to pull one out by accident. (Of course, pulling one out at all is a bit of a chore, but I'd rather have that than having them pull out easily when, say, your 6 month old grabs it...) And my favorite modification, the little cover for the port that you use when you want to single pump is now attached to the machine, unlike the little white one from my previous incarnation, which I've been deathly afraid of losing. The case now has much more room, and the cooler part is now a separate piece, so if you don't use that, you can have much more room in the top to store bottles or work-related items or whatever. And the cooler has a handy ice-pack that nestles bottles into it nicely. The pull-down shelf and removable pump are nice touches that I don't have much need for, but I'm sure someone does.

The negatives, however, are somewhat annoying. First, and most importantly, the pump now has a cover that is removeable. I can't imagine why I would need to remove it, but even if I might have reason to, the downside is major. The cover must be on very tightly or the thing won't pump at all, and it didn't arrive fully on when I got it. The instruction manual contains nothing about how to put it on properly - I had to call the company thinking something was wrong with my pump (see previous post). Just in normal carting around the thing loosens pretty regularly, but you can't tell until you try to pump and it doesn't have the normal suction. So there you are hanging out with your breast exposed fiddling with your pump...not fun. Please, Medela, fix this in the next incarnation!

Other minor issues: The on-off switch and the speed are now one integrated dial, meaning you can't set the speed, and then just turn on and off the pump. You have t get up to the highest speed by going through the lower ones. Not a big deal, but slightly uncomfortable when you're rapidly turning the dial through the speeds. More importantly, I no longer have the ability to turn it off with my elbow or foot while holding the horns on my breasts. Sounds silly, I know, but it's much easier for me to prevent spilling if I can do that, particularly when pumping into bags rather than bottles. The pump is now tucked back into the bag so you cannot seep the speed dial unless you're at eye level with it, making it a little less convenient to know what your pump is doing. And finally, the power cord pulls out of the pump really easily.

In all, I'd trade all the nice little changes to get that pump cover to not be removeable. But it's still a good pump for the working mom.

One final tirade. In an old issue of Child magazine I was reading, there's a note about how freezing breast milk eliminates some of the health benefits of breast milk. Can someone tell me what good this study does? None of us *want* to freeze breast milk - we do it because even the most attached mothers occasionally have to be away from their children, and working moms do it all the time. First they tell us that breast milk is best, and then they make us feel guilty for the serious effort we have to put forth to keep nursing after we return to work??? This little news item has some doc quoted as saying "Mothers often have to store breast milk and that's fine. We don't want women to feel guilty about it." Then why tell us this? What good does it do? Do they think we're all going to be able to say "ooh - then I guess I'll stay with my child every minute for at least a year so the kid never gets any formula and never gets any breast milk from anything but my own fabulous boobs??? The article says they're going to do studies to see how infant well-being is impacted by having less anti-oxidants in the milk. So they can make us feel even worse!!! Can someone please tell me why anyone feels the need to do this kind of research? What good is being done for anyone here?