Thursday, July 07, 2005

Kid Be Nimble Kid Be Quick

So the Metropolitoddler is now two, and as such, it is her God-given right to climb anything and everything in sight -- or so she claims.

The trick seems to be striking the right balance between letting her zoom about freely and making sure that she doesn't fall and get hurt in some serious manner. She's pretty nimble, all things considered, but there are obviously some feats that are beyond her abilities -- even if she doesn't know it yet! So I try to stay close enough to catch her in the event of an emergency, yet far enough away so that she's absolutely positively doing it herself.

I'm assuming that my child isn't the only one who is busy testing her newfound strength and agility. I probably err a bit on the side of freedom, and I regularly chuckle at my father, who keeps his hands precisely two inches off the surface of his granddaughter at all times. (It looks like she has a force field or something.)

As for weekdays -- I have actually made a point of not asking my daughter's nanny how she handles the playground. I figure that she loves my kid plenty, and so she's got her best interests at heart, so why stress her (and me) out by grilling her about how far away she stands from the jungle gym or how she handles the slide? What I don't know won't hurt me -- unless, of course, I get a phone call telling me to come quick.