Tuesday, March 22, 2005

When Did I Start Needing Sleep?

For me, one of the more impressive aspects of early motherhood was the extent to which I could lead a perfectly normal life with absolutely no sleep. Even when I went back to work, I was up at 5 am to pump before the then-Metropolibaby woke up, then went to bed around 10:30 or 11 pm, got up two or three times during the night to re-insert a pacifier or change a diaper or something, and was up for good again at 5 am. And I never really felt tired. Or if I did, I didn't notice.

So now the Metropolitoddler is pushing two years old. She sleeps like a champ, rarely wakes up at night, generally is a rock star in the world of sleep. But if she wakes up in the middle of the night with a bad dream or an untimely poopy diaper, I find myself dragging for the next day or two. I am just wiped out by a night that, 18 months ago, would have been deemed a fabulous night of repose.

Where did all those Mommy-Don't-Need-No-Sleep hormones run off to? And when did they skip town? Please come back . . .