Thursday, February 10, 2005

Getting Acclimated

I know I've been a little MIA lately, but I recently started my new job and thus have been a little distracted. It's been a number of years since I was the new kid on the block -- I'd kind of forgotten what it feels like!

My various intrafirm moves at my Prior Employer were a lot different than this move: none of the groups I worked in were anywhere near as closeknit and team-oriented as the group I've just joined. It's a small organization, and everyone knows each other very well, so I'm working on getting used to everything -- not just the job itself, but also the vibe of the place.

Perfect example: a few days ago, a bunch of us went to go grab lunch. We ended up at a food-court-type-place, and everyone split up to get whatever they wanted. After I got my food, I didn't see anyone else, so I walked back to the office, sat down at my desk, and opened up my lunch. A few minutes later, everyone else came back to the office and said "Oh, Felicity, we were waiting for you!" "Oh, you were? Sorry, I didn't know." I turned back to my customary lunchtime blogsurfing and lunch-munching. The next thing I know, everyone has piled into a conference room to eat lunch together. I didn't even notice until someone called my name to come join them. After several years of eating at my desk, it never crossed my mind that everyone would actually eat together!

I'm going into the office earlier than I did at Prior Employer, so haven't seen the Metropolitoddler as much as I'd like, but this will ultimately be solved by waking her up ten or fifteen minutes before I leave so that we can hang out a bit before I head out the door. I feel a little guilty about waking her up, but better that she take a longer nap when there's no parents around than miss out on seeing Mommy in the morning, right?

All in all: so far so good.