Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Into the Abyss

Welcome to our blog!

I'm the one who posts here who doesn't quite yet qualify as an Urban Mommy. Well, I'm urban, but I prefer to reserve the "mommy" title for myself once I have a child. I'm expecting in January, with about 12 weeks to go.

So far, so good. I feel good, am suffering only relatively minor aches and pains, and our little fetus seems perfectly healthy. I feel very lucky, and very apprehensive. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Getting me into my pregnant state required a lot of time and a lot of medical intervention, so my poor paranoid little brain is simply waiting for something else to go wrong - namely, for this to be other than a perfect pregnancy resulting in a perfect little boy. It's awfully hard to convince myself otherwise - I dream about the horrible things that can happen to my unborn child, both now and when it arrives. I have thoughts when I'm awake that are truly horrifying. Only the arrival of this kid safe and sound is going to quell these fears. Oh well - at least I finally believe I'm pregnant...

Work in my 28-week-pregnant state hasn't changed much. I'm done travelling, which is good, because I discovered that on some airlines, I can't lower my tray table any more. My work life hasn't changed since I told everyone here - of course, that first tri-mester was tough, as I kept falling asleep on my desk. It's awfully hard to explain to someone why you have the imprint of a computer keyboard on your cheek if they don't know you're pregnant. Other than that, the only ramifications of this belly growth so far are that it's often harder to remove myself from the bathroom stalls at my workplace, which have inward swinging doors.

I am living in constant worry about maternity leave. I still don't know how long I'm taking off and under what conditions. I've been putting off the conversation with my boss for a while now. Have to just do it, I guess.

I'll save my worries about day care for a later post.