Friday, October 22, 2004

A Rose By Any Other Name....

So now that I've seduced you all with Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing... this is merely upping my stress about naming my child.

You see, I hate my name. Always have hated my name. Suffice it to say that if Lola Banana were my real name, I'd hate it less. It's unattractive, hard to spell, long, and completely out of sync with the names in my generation. So now I'm left paralyzed in naming my own child. Something too common? Something too unique? Something with a crappy nickname we hope never gets used? The stress is killing me. Add that to the restrictive naming conventions of my particular ethnic group and you have a nightmare. My child is doomed to be Baby Boy Banana for a long time to come.

I've done all the right things - I've read at least 7 baby books cover to cover. I've called names loudly down the hall to see how they sound. I've consulted with friends, relatives and random strangers. I've trolled the Net. And I've still got nothing.

How do you name a kid in this day and age without setting either you or them up for therapy?