Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Sweet Dreams Are SO Not Made of This

Like every other expectant mother (so I've been told), I've had the baby dreams. In the first few months, they all involved horrible things happening to the baby, either in the womb or afterwards. After a while, some of them got to be pretty sweet - I dreamed about playing with my baby in the park, my baby growing up and going to school. But now, I'm having nightmares - honest-to-goodness, sit-bolt-upright-in-bed, cold-sweat nightmares - about CRIB LINENS.

I have picked out the nursery furniture but have not yet chosen crib linens. I've been all over the web for a few days now, and have narrowed it down, and am merely waiting for swatches to make my decision. This will all be done by the beginning of next week - they'll be chosen and ordered, I'll order some cute accessories, and we've decided we'll do things like paint and get new carpet in December. This particular checklist is one I actually feel good about.

Apparently, my subconscious feels otherwise.

Mr. Banana will see this as a vast improvement. During the first trimester, I woke up in a cold sweat one night yelling that I was a terrible mother because I'd forgotten to teach my child its own phone number. Somehow, he will see nightmares over crib linens as more manageable.