Friday, November 19, 2004

More Random Thoughts

- What did we do before baby carrots? Somehow they taste so much better than the carrot sticks that ended up in my lunch throughout my childhood. Did you know that they're just pared down carrots? Really - they are. So why do they taste better?

- The very same people who produce a large percentage of America's baby carrots also make the best thing I have discovered during my pregnancy. I don't get nearly enough fruits and veggies, and had a lot more trouble during my first trimester when they made me kinda sick (yes, more so than other things). Bolthouse Farms makes these smoothie drinks in a quart bottle (much more economical than the single serving sizes) and I'm completely addicted to the Strawberry Banana flavor. You must get these. Nothing but fruit, but so, so yummy, especially this time of year when any strawberries you find in the store cost $5 each and taste like cardboard. Makes getting my 5-a-day so much less painful.

- Mr. Banana finally showed signs of weakness the other night - he's actually concerned about getting his pre-baby to-do-list stuff done in time. True, his is very different than mine - mine involves making a drugstore run to stock up on diapers and Desitin just before the kid shows up and stenciling cute patterns on the kid's walls and the like. His involves painting two rooms, orchestrating carpet replacement for two rooms, redoing some electrical stuff in the bathroom, replacing molding and moving a lot of furniture. So I guess he's pretty reasonable. But I'll admit it actually made me feel a little better not to be the only one worried!

- My mom is coming this weekend. It's a very good thing. Odds are about 50-50 that she'll cry when she sees me in my large-belly state.

- It's getting more and more uncomfortable to sit at my desk. I like to sit up close and can't really do that any more.

- Two people have said something today about me waddling, yet two other people this week have seemed surprised when I've told them I'm pregnant (and one guessed I was about 4 months along when I told her). Do I look pregnant or don't I?

- Must resist buying everything on my own baby registry.

- On The West Wing episode this week, Leo makes several comments about being on Vicodin. The man is a recovering alcohol and pills addict - is there any way they'd let him have Vicodin?

- Are kick counts just another way to make pregnant women paranoid that something is wrong with their babies?