Monday, November 08, 2004

One Track Mind

I've turned into those people I hate. Everything is about the kid. Always. I don't want it to be this way. I'm an intelligent woman with things to say on topics of importance, but the only thing anyone ever asks me is "How are you feeling?" And for seven months, I've been good - I've answered "fine" and tried to change the subject to anything of interest to the other person, especially if that person doesn't have kids.

But this weekend, it somehow became all about the kid. I couldn't manage to hold a conversation without it turning to my pregnancy. I thought about it constantly, and talked about it constantly. I'm playing the pregnancy card with Mr. Banana regularly and getting out of housework or climbing to get things in the kitchen - even to get out of chopping an onion, which I find completely intolerable in my 3rd trimester. And I went to an event this weekend where things were happening that I was completely interested in and spent the entire time I was there talking with a friend who is due shortly after I am about which crib furniture we ordered.

I don't know how this happened, and I don't know how to make it stop.

On a lighter note, the bathroom floor is progressing nicely (and my precious toilet should be back in place by the end of the week), The Incredibles was fantastic, all the eBay baby clothes have been washed and put away without losing a single sock or mitten, and I'm still having a remarkably easy pregnancy. Plus, I get to have another ultrasound next week! Yay!